Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Martin Whybrow Martin Whybrow is offline

Default OIP MOdel 165 Laser

"GanjaTron" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 8:27 pm, "Martin Whybrow"
wrote:

Roland, try posting on alt.lasers and include any data from the rating
plate
or the CDRH label, i.e. wavelength and power (although I'm guessing you
haven't located that label from your request for information on power) and
mention the dimensions and shape of the laser head as it will give some
clue
as to what it is.

Hi Martin,

there's no rating plate of any kind on the case. All it says is "OIP
GASLASER MODEL 165" and the logo "OIP GENT BELGIUM".

Popping open the lid I see two glass bulbs linked to a common tube at
opposite ends. The tube appears to emit on both sides (one aperture is
covered with duct tape). One of the bulbs contains an electrode, the
other a metal cylinder connected in series with a big fat resistor.
It's almost disappointingly simple, but apparently intact.

The only additional info I could find is a label on the tube reading:

He-Ne PLASMATUBE
MODEL Nr. 165
SERIAL Nr. G1196

No mention of ratings whatsoever.

I'll try alt.lasers and see if they know more. Having read Sam's Laser
FAQ I assumed sci.electronics would be a good starting point. Thanks
for the reply!

--Roland
Sounds like a fairly old helium neon laser design; the big cylinder is the
cathode, the other electrode is, obviously, the anode. Power rating is
rarely more than 10mW per ft of bore length and the wavelength is likely to
be 632.8nm. Operating voltages are in the order of 1.5 to 2KV per ft and
typically 10KV strike voltage. I imagine the third wire on the connector is
connected to the chassis of the laser head as a safety ground. Can you see
any signs of a getter patch in the sidearms? Not having one isn't always bad
as the cathode can sometimes act as a getter but a white or powdery getter
patch is always bad.
Sam also frequents alt.lasers so he's likely to see the message if you post
over there.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom