Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Swelling wood, driving me nuts.

I have the same problem with swelling wood driving me nuts but that's
a different story all together.

Maybe you can have the door close against an overlapping stop. Then
yoiu just cut it down to always be at least a little clear and the
ever changing gap hides behind the overlap. With the right type of
latch you should have enough play to have it work in any state of
expansion.

On Jul 27, 1:27*pm, jtpr wrote:
I just finished building an outdoor shower using 1x6 Meranti and Cedar
posts. *Link he

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/photos/59...9_acMNx-X3.jpg

Anyway, I had a rather tight tolerence on the door but I figured lets
see if it is OK. *Sure enough, after a monsoon the door swelled shut.
While it was still in it's swelled state I removed the end piece where
it shuts and cut it back 1/2". *This left me a good 3/8" of clearance
and while my mitres didn't look as good, all was well.

A week goes by and we get another monsoon. *Bingo, the door has
swelled beyond the clearance again, this time just in the middle. * I
had left a hacksaw blade width between each of the boards when I built
it, which I was told was about right for movement in this kind of
wood.

Anybody have any clever ideas on how to fix this? *The dimensions on
that door are roughly 5' x 27"

Jim