Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Swelling wood, driving me nuts.

I just finished building an outdoor shower using 1x6 Meranti and Cedar
posts. Link he

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/photos/59...9_acMNx-X3.jpg

Anyway, I had a rather tight tolerence on the door but I figured lets
see if it is OK. Sure enough, after a monsoon the door swelled shut.
While it was still in it's swelled state I removed the end piece where
it shuts and cut it back 1/2". This left me a good 3/8" of clearance
and while my mitres didn't look as good, all was well.

A week goes by and we get another monsoon. Bingo, the door has
swelled beyond the clearance again, this time just in the middle. I
had left a hacksaw blade width between each of the boards when I built
it, which I was told was about right for movement in this kind of
wood.

Anybody have any clever ideas on how to fix this? The dimensions on
that door are roughly 5' x 27"

Jim