Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill a bolt

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:57:45 -0800, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to drill a hole in a grade 8 bolt. three actually, two cross
and one axially. I remember this was a stone bitch from last time I
tried. I got one shot this time. Should I drill it slow and hard like
stainless, or fast and light pecks? Other suggestions?

It depends on the material Karl not the rating as a bolt.
Carbon steel and Stainless are both avaliable in grade 8.

And technically, there is no such thing as a metric grade 8.
There is 4.8 steel , 5.8 steel, and 8.8 steel as well as 10.9 and
12.9 steel
There is A2 and A4 stainless (304 (or 305) and 316.