Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Shade-Tree Metal Hardening

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:53:55 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:

I'm going to make a wire-bending fixture for putting fairly small-radius
bends into 1/8" music wire*. I have some 1/8" oil hardening drill rod
and a slightly undersized 1/8" reamer designed for installing dowel pins
in tooling. I also have some 1-1/4" round bar, made of mystery steel but
there's a good chance that it'll harden at least a bit if encouraged.

So I'm planning on putting a couple of pins made out of the drill rod
into the end of a bar, and bending the music wire around the pins. I'm
_assuming_ that if I don't harden the drill rod that it'll bend, although
I'm in a hurry so I'm going to test that assumption by trying to use the
tool.

Just get one of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...1/pic1679a.jpg

Cheers!