Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Update on gluing wood.

scritch wrote:

Fine Woodworking did a glue comparison test a little while back, and
found that for most glues the tighter the better. They also found that
for most glues, especially the most commonly-used PVA's, that there was
also no glue starvation problem, as noted above.

After reading the article, I changed my clamping technique to clamping
very, very tight on most joints, and have achieved greater success as a
result. The only glue that I use that I don't worry about clamping too
tight is epoxy, because epoxy has superior gap-filling properties.

When I first started WWing, I clamped things as tight as I could. No
failures. Later, I read that was wrong, and you shouldn't over clamp.
I tried less clamping pressure and you guessed it, no failures. Now,
they seem to want more pressure... Personally, I quit worrying about it
(never really worried much anyway) and clamp until no gaps, and maybe a
tad more... somewhere between 10 psi and 1,0000 psi. Not sure, I don't
measure it:-)

For me, the most important issue for ME to worry about is squeeze out.
I don't want much (any), and I don't want a dry joint. If you know
what you are doing, you get little squeeze out (unlike Norm and Scott)
and no dry joints. It just ain't that hard. Well, it might be hard if
you are on TV, not sure about that...

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/