Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:07:02 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

Ya got it on the first try. New York Rangers most definitely suck. If
you ever get out in this direction during hockey season, I'll take you
to a Devils game (which happen to be played in Newark, where this
whole debacle started), and you can hear 17,000 people say it all at
once. Doesn't matter who the opposing team is, the Devils fans have it
in for the Rangers.

I really like watching good hockey. Went to Michigan Tech many years
ago, where hockey is probably as important as engineering or
technology.

You ought to fill them with seltzer. I expect that would be way more
satisfying. Check out Richard Kinch's web site for a most excellent
how-to.

I've made some Kinchesque bottlecaps-mit-Schraeder valves long before
I knew about Richard's similar adventures.

I don't think seltzer would make much difference. The hydrostatic
shock of the bullet's impact makes the bottle kinda explode.

I couldn't hit **** with the LCP today. *Some days are like that. That
long DA *trigger wil take some gettin' used to.

Same as getting to Carnegie Hall - Practice.

Yup. Time enjoyably spent. .380 ammo and brass are about impossible
to find right now but I'm hoping that situation will eventually
improve. Wayne was right that some "gun nuts" do seem to be easily
spooked. Since the election there has been hoarding to such extremes
that ammo and reloading supplies are very difficult to find at any
price. A big store in St. Cloud got a shipment of 100K primers one
day, sold them all within 4 hours.

1) Eric should really keep supplies on hand. It doesn't take much for
a diabetic to get in serious trouble.

I'm sure they know that. Eric's mom and gramma are RN's. It's easy
to forget stuff when going to grampa's cabin.

2) It all sounds too idyllic. Wish I was there. Someday (in the next
few years) I plan to move to Vermont, where I'll probably have a few
fun guns of my own, though they'll probably be target rifles, because
that's what *I* like to do.

Yeah, that' s fun. A very good friend of mine in PA is getting into
fitting, chambering, crowning and bedding rifle barrels. That's
high-precision metalworking. He's after one-hole five-shot groups
at 100 yards. We're going to visit with them this autumn and I'm
hoping to shoot one of his rifles.

I have a couple of decent rifles, a .223 sporter and a .22-250
varminter. Just factory, but they're good enough for me. They
shoot 0.5 to 0.75 minutes of arc if I feed them ammo they like.

That's where I started with the soda bottles. When a 55-grain
ballistic-tip bullet clocking along at most of 4000 fps hits a
water-filled and capped bottle, the target about vaporizes.

Vermont! That's rather different from New Jersey, right? Anyone over
21 can carry in Vermont, no permit required. Wonder how many
actually do. Probably very few.