Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:29:23 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:19:34 -0700, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:09:51 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

The thread started as my impressions of a
particular pistol.

Again, it's a sure sign that you're losing the debate when you need to
put words in others' mouths and misrepresent their position. All I
said about schoolyards is that your gun is more likely to end up in
one than to save your life.

Yes, that's what you said

But what you wrote about what I said about schoolyards, and what I
actually said, are two entirely different things. That's a fact, and
anyone who can read English can verify it by reading the material.

-- with absolutely no basis of evidence or
supportive logic. The assertion is absurd.

What you continually fail to acknowledge is that *everyone* like you
who buys a carry-piece because they feel vulnerable, insists that they
too are responsible. The level of genuine responsibility varies, but
the fact is that a whole lot of those guns end up far from where they
were originally intended to be. Since you won't acknowledge that
problem, I don't see how you're any different from all the others.
You're carrying because of an over-reaction to your fear. That fear
will probably increase as you get older, and your ability to act
responsibly will probably decrease. But your right to carry, and most
likely your insistence on carrying, will remain. Sort of like the old
fart who can no longer turn his head, but backs up blindly out of his
tree-lined driveway thinking "I'm old, and I'm coming out!". Now, I
already know that you'll respond by saying "I'll quit carrying/driving
when I judge myself incapable". And it's certainly possible that
you'll be the exception. But at this point, you won't even acknowledge
that there's a problem with too many guns, so I don't rate your
critical thinking very highly now, and I doubt that it will get better
with time.

I shared my experience with the Ruger LCP. Others, apparently
including you, want a debate while being uninformed and unwilling to
become informed.

Uninformed about what? That you're "special", and your needs and
capabilities are above average, and therefore you aren't like all the
other millions who give in to their fear resulting in a flood of guns?
That leaves opinion based on what? Fear?

LOL I'm not the guy who needs to carry to go on a walk, and that
includes a trip to Oakland a few weeks ago.

Debate away.

It's not a debate, because you aren't willing to admit that there's
anything to debate. You wanted the gun, you bought it, and if there's
any downside then you want to talk around the issue, right?

You failed to debate that point, because
your case is no different than anyone else's. The fact is that no
matter how responsible you are, there are plenty of circumstances
where that new toy could end up in the wrong place.

No,there aren't.

Baloney. You can do a lot to cut down the odds of the gun getting out
of your hands, but there's no way you can be sure it will never
happen. To name just one example - you could have a heart attack on a
walk, and the first guy on the scene might pocket your popper. After
all, there are scary people along your route, otherwise you wouldn't
have thought of carrying in the first place, right?

You know nearly nothing about my experience or
training.

Your experience and training won't matter a whit if somebody gets the
drop on you and takes your piece. Neither will it matter if somebody
burgles your place and steals the guns. Besides, the more of your
posts I read, the more I believe that you have more fear than you're
letting on, which increases the odds that you'll get sloppy.

I do not regard handguns as toys and I strongly suggest
that you don't either.

Your pocket popper is a toy in that the need for it probably only
exists in your mind. And you're treating it like a toy in that you
don't want to admit any possibility that your piece might join
millions of others in ending up somewhere other than where the owners
intended.

I don't see a shred of difference between you and every
fearful soccer mom.

Thank you! The soccer moms I've known have been anything but fearful.

Sheesh. Well heck, if even the soccer moms are fearless, then where
are all these guns coming from, and who is it that's buying them? Let
me guess - we're all winners with no fear but it's just a fluke that
we buy millions of guns just in case, and so long as we proclaim that
we understand that they're not toys we can ignore the statistics and
then everything's OK?

They hang in there and get it done with a smile, make it look easy.
They are winners, not whiners.

Nobody said that soccer moms were whiners. I said that you were
whining about trolls and your thread going in a direction you didn't
ask for.

He, and you, are only disingenuously yakking about trolls because you
prefer that to serious debate.

Bingo,Wayne, good catch! I WAS NOT LOOKING FOR A GODDAMNED DEBATE.

Yes, I know what you wanted - to start an off-topic discussion about
your new popper in a forum where you figured everybody would tell you
what you want to hear. Nevertheless, you seem to have lots of time to
argue, but none to debate.

I shared my experience with and impressions of the (metal) Ruger LCP
for those readers who might be interested.

Beyond that, you have presented no "serious debate", far from it. You
have introduced no factual or logical support for your opinions, some
of which are amusingly absurd. "Guns are like freon..."

As I said before, I thought you were smart enough to grasp a simple
metaphor. I don't see how it helps you to repeatedly pretend that you
didn't get my point.

Shouting opinions, particularly opinions with absolutely no basis in
fact or logic, is not serious debate.

I agree, but you're talking about yourself there, and you know it.

Wayne