Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default ( Vestel ) badged Digihome PVR80 80G pvr

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:05:49 +0100, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Cold mohmeter checking probably would have worked as about 0.04 ohm across
the defective item. Only 6 diodes it would seem on this board, so i checked,
and one across 0 and 5V. I'd not thought of checking diodes , as why across
5V. So a half size 4148 looking barrel SM "diode", overlay saying D,
directly between the, scalpelled off , leaving now separated 5 and 0 rails.
What to replace it with ? 6V, 7V or 10V suppressor , what is usual?

This TVS diode protects the +5V rail on some HDDs:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Colla...MA5.0AT3-D.PDF

- Franc Zabkar