Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Jul 27, 2:42*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:47:33 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

As I was patient with you. And this thread STARTED with the program in
Newark, NJ. And yes, my knowledge is somewhat sparse, but that's a
good thing, as it is based on actual experience and the experiences of
acquaintances. The less experience I have with violence (gun or any
other), the better.

As I said in my first post after you got your new gun, "I hope you
never feel the need to take it out of your pocket." I meant it then,
and I meant it now.

Peace.

Thanks and roger that. * * I also *hope I never feel the need to take
it out of my pocket as a defensive measure *and I fully expect that
will be the case. *I am a veteran and I have done training as a
civilian so I think I *can defend myself without presenting a hazard
to y'all.

*I'm curious about the pseudonym *or net name or whatever ya call it
"rangerssuck". *I thought about that while on *the trail yesterday.
What rangers suck, pray tell? * New York Rangers, *Texas Rangers, U.S..
Army Rangers, *Ford Rangers, Ranger boats.....? *I think I had a
longer list between mile 2 and 3 but that's all I can recall just now.

Ya got it on the first try. New York Rangers most definitely suck. If
you ever get out in this direction during hockey season, I'll take you
to a Devils game (which happen to be played in Newark, where this
whole debacle started), and you can hear 17,000 people say it all at
once. Doesn't matter who the opposing team is, the Devils fans have it
in for the Rangers.

Short-term memory is not one of my strengths and probably not a growth
opportunity at this point in my life...

Welcome to my world. While not quite as old as you, my memory
definitely has taken a beating over the years, most notably in the
last five or so. There's a pretty good book, "Brain Longevity" by
Dharma Singh Khalsa, MD that I'll finish reading some day, if I can
remember. What I have read so far seems pretty solid, with nutritional
advice, exercises and some tips to aid the aging brain.

I took young neighbor Eric (18) *to the range today, with full
approval of his parents of course. *He'd expressed interest in
shooting *a *1911 (.45) and I have a couple *so I'd brought one up
this trip. * We went to the casual range behind the ammonia plant over
by Glenwood. *He and we *had one hell of a good time. He hit a plastic
pop (soda) bottle at 50 feet, not bad at all. *I fill them with water
and cap them so they kinda explode when hit well. *That's fun at the
range. *We had three. *I busted *one, so did he, don't recall who hit
the third. *Doesn't matter, we had a great time.

You ought to fill them with seltzer. I expect that would be way more
satisfying. Check out Richard Kinch's web site for a most excellent
how-to.

I couldn't hit **** with the LCP today. *Some days are like that. That
long DA *trigger wil take some gettin' used to.

Same as getting to Carnegie Hall - Practice.

I'm going to skip commentary on the rest of this except for two items:

1) Eric should really keep supplies on hand. It doesn't take much for
a diabetic to get in serious trouble.

2) It all sounds too idyllic. Wish I was there. Someday (in the next
few years) I plan to move to Vermont, where I'll probably have a few
fun guns of my own, though they'll probably be target rifles, because
that's what *I* like to do.

It's a rather minimal range, one shooting bench and no target stands
to speak of. *OTOH, *it's free to those who know about it. *We left it
as we found it, no evidence of our visit. *Flyover country protocol. *

We had to detour thru Glenwood because of the Waterama parade. *Folks
leave lawn chairs, quilts, coolers and ah don' know whutall along the
parade route in advance. *Nobody will steal them here. *

We went 'round that en route to the shooting place, Eric driving lest
Mary wanna go elsewhere in our car *while young Eric *'n I were
goofin' off. * Hadda go most of the way up the hill, dang near to the
55 highway to get past the several streets where they were staging the
parade. *

His dad Dave (diesel mechanic and instructor of same) *told me that
Eric was still grinning several hours later.

Eric told a hilarious story about an adventure with Grampa Zip one
night looking for a syringe. (Eric is a diabetic) * We're kinda rural
here, Zip drives like a bat outta hell. *They finally found one in
Glenwood but then Zip got lost coming back. It's only *8 miles but it
can be a bit confusing at night and Zip just might have *had a
skinfull *at the time. *It happens (!)

There are Zip stories that should be shared with Garrison Keillor.
Tracy (Eric's mom) told us one yesterday that had us gasping helpless
with laughter: *the tale of Zip *going waterskiing off the dock on
Armistice day * wearing a bathrobe and a stocking cap. *
Mr. Steinbring, the original builder of our cabin, was driving the
boat. *They were all nuts. *Tracy is a great storyteller. *

Zip still shoots ducks off his dock in autumn. *

I like it here! *