Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default Spring repair?

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
RoyJ wrote:
Hold the inner end of the spring with a pliers about 1/2" to 3/4" from
the end, heat it red hot to kill the temper on the end, bend it to fit.
It will be a bit shorter than original but should work.

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
I bought a 20" Rockwell drill press with a broken return spring.

I uploaded a photo to the drop box.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/10_Broken_spring_.JPG

The replacement spring is still available, but is really expensive. I
have oxyacetylene welding equipment. Stick welder but no TIG.

Could this be silver soldered? Is there an alternative repair that
would be stronger / easier? Take it to a welding shop and have it
TIGged?

RWL

Do what Roy said--let it cool slowly in air!

I had a spring guy tell me the baked their springs over night at 400 after
forming to stress relieve them. Don't know if that would help here or not.