Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default cleaning, was mount small to large shaft

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:49:59 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:51:42 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Don Foreman writes:

Parts should fit snugly. They should be reasonably clean but this isn't
terribly fussy. A quick squirt of Brake-Kleen and a wipe or blow off is
quite sufficient.

I've always used starting ether for the final cleaning as the
residue from other stuph can bite you back.

Comments?

Brake-Kleen isn't supposed to leave a residue. I use it for final
cleaning of bearings after gross cleaning with varsol and acetone,
which do leave residues.

Yeah, I've used lacquer thinner, Brake-Kleen, and Berryman's B-12 carb
cleaner as non-residue cleaners for decades now. All work great.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.