Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Running water line/conduit

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 00:33:59 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

If it's below the frost line, there's no need for either insulation or a
recirculator -- it won't freeze regardless.

Yeah, I've heard THAT kind of a blanket dismissal before. ;-P Pull
the other leg, I don't want to walk lopsided...

Considering where you live, you can be pardoned for not understanding ... but
how did you think those of us who *do* live in freeze zones manage to keep our
lines from freezing? Did you seriously think that municipal water utilities in
the north insulate their distribution lines, and run hot water recirculators?

Bury it deep enough, and it *will* *not* freeze. It really *is* that simple.

I had to be below 36" in SW Ohio for water lines. I used 2.5" PVC
and 15° angles from the city's shutoff into the basement, then ran the
required K copper water trough the PVC, inside of the expanded cell foam
pipe insulation. I was the first person to do it that way, and had to
get a variance form the city's Engineering department to do it.

The old water line was at 36 inches, and at times it was barely a
trickle after days of near zero weather.