Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to open this cleanout?

"Mike rock" wrote in message
A few questions:

If indeed that is your cleanout, it has to sit lower( sloped downward)
than the pipe that leaves your house. That will give you an idea how
deep in the ground it is.
When the last visible pipe leaves your house, where is it in relation
to the floor? Is it a foot below ground, above ground?
And also how far away is the cleanout and the pipe that leaves the
house?

If you cannot get the cleanout opened, is there a way to put in a
cleanout in the pipe leaving the house so you don't have to go through
that trouble with the concrete?

Do you have any problems now that you must get it opened? If not, I
would just leave it for now.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, your questions are part of what I am trying to determine.

The house is old, build in 1972, and the city has no old plans that
survived. They microfilmed all paper plans in the 90s to save space, then
the bugs ate all the microfilms. So no old record to go back to.

Due to the unique design of the house, there are multiple lines that exit
the house. The have already identified and located one of them which is on
the other side of the house. I do know these two merge further downstream.

This line I *believe* exits the house under the front door entrance, which
consists of a concrete stairway three steps up to the landing areas. This
stepped area then is directly connected to the concrete driveway. I believe
this line goes under the stairway and landing areas then the driveway.
There is no visible exit point elsewhere (I have dugged).

I had someone come by to snake the line and I sort of located it heading in
the direction of the stairway by listening to the spinning noise of the
snake head from above, but it muffed as it gets deeper. The plumber ran
100' of line but I don't know where it went. I wanted to open the cleanout
on the exit end and look down, and possibly snake from there to the city. I
also want to send a video down and see the conditon.

The entire exercise is to assess the condition of my cast iron line and
determine if I need repair, or total replacement.