Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.engr.lighting

Default Strange CFL Failure Mode

In article ,
(Don Klipstein) writes:
In , Victor Roberts wrote:
On 24 Jul 2009 08:43:43 GMT,

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

However note that Pyrex(R) no longer implies any particular
glass type, and in particular, it's no longer borosilicate
glass in the US.

Pyrex seems to still be a registered trademark of Corning,
at least in the US, though I do see that the use of the
Pyrex name has expanded well beyond borosilicate glass, for
example, to metal cookware.

This makes me wonder if the name "Pyrex" "expanded" to glass types other
than borosilicate, as opposed to merely being "expanded" to non-glass
items.

In the US, Pyrex is currently tempered sola lime glass:
http://www.pyrexware.com/thetruthaboutpyrex/manu.htm
A factory in Europe also licenses the name, and apparently
produces borosilicate glass.

Pyrex is now simply used as a respected brand name, still
owned by Corning, but licensed out to whoever wants to use the
name. It doesn't imply glass, or any particular type of glass.
Corning no longer make anything under the Pyrex name themselves.

--
Andrew Gabriel