Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Structured Wiring Systems - new wiki article

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:28:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

IME if you don't tape them together it is very easy to end up in a rats
nest of a tangle when trying to pull half a dozen bunches under a floor
etc. Even when they are taped up you still need to be very careful
coiling and uncoiling so as not to end up with a knitting problem!

That is were I may have an advantage my day job involves coiling and
uncoiling cables anything from a 3mm dia 1m long jobbie to something
3/4" dia and 50m long. Different cable sizes/types need different
techniques. The little one would probably just get the put the "twist
in coil" method, the bigger wouldn't be coiled but "figure of
eighted". Something in between say 1/4" dia and 30m long would be
hand coiled but in such away that the twists cancel out.(*)

The large long bundles show laid out down the lawn in the FAQ I'd
figure of eight and tape/tie the loops to keep them as loops and the
8 shape maintained.

(*)I'll try to explain, most people when coiling a cable put a twist
into the cable to form the loop hanging down from the holding hand.
The trick is to put those twists in in alternate directions. The
gotcha is if you take one end through the center of the coil when
uncoiling it you may end up with a string of knots. Take a peek at
the these vids, I use the first method (all the others seem cack
handed to me) but the result is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbYyaUY5Sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBUzmA4kTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwwB29uQRg

This is completely different method: