Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill Donwill is offline

Default Patch Board or panels (electronics0

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Donwill popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Years ago there used to be something called a patch board which by
using inserting pins with diodes in them you could route a DC current
to different locations. If you can imagine 2 pieces of veroboard set one
behind the other and the strips at right angles to one another, then by
inserting these pins you could connect any of the horizontal strips to
any of the vertical strips. Someone must still be making them surely?
I've searched but to no avail, plenty of RJ45 patches but not what I
want. I've searched Patch boards, Patch panels, Patch pins, Patch diode
pins etc Does anyone know what they are called these days, and where can
I get one. I'm building a vent controller for the new, not yet built
conservatory it needs to control 6 vents and I need to build in the
flexibility to select vents. I know there are different ways of doing
it but I want to do it using one of these patch boards.

Pin patch used to be quite popular for routing non critical audio etc
circuits in TV outside broadcast vehicles where space was at a premium.
But doesn't seem to be available anymore from the usual suspects. I'd
guess solid state routing has taken over as that can save even more space.

I might try and find some cheap miniature jacks and make something up. I
will only need 18 in a 3x6 matrix.

Thanks anyway
Cheers
Don