Posted to uk.d-i-y
nafuk nafuk is offline

Default Tips for boxing in lintels

On 25 July, 16:51, "Roger Mills" wrote:

nafuk *wrote:
Hi, I have to box in a catnic metal and a concrete lintel. I would
like to 'turn' them into wooden lintels (it is an old house) by
covering them in wood planking - two sides and underside. Both are in
9" solid brick walls. I'd much appreciate any tips:
1. type of wood
2. thickness - will it warp?
3. design - rest the sides on the lower plank or fit lower between
sides?
4. ?

Cheers

What are they supporting? If they're supporting the floor above, where two
rooms have been knocked into one, can't you lose them altogether by moving
them above ceiling height?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Thanks for the replies.
I'd like to keep the finish natural so not sure if ply joints could be
hidden.
The wood flooring seems like a good idea.
They can't be moved/hidden so will be on display.
Cheers.