Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fans : How many blades?

On Thu 23 Jul 2009 01:56:01p, Bob-tx told us...

I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no
nothing store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan
pushed more air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make sense
to me so I asked why that was and was told he didn't know why, but
that is the way it is. I asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more
air, but he didn't know and of course didn't have any. I bit my
tongue and didn't ask about a one bladed fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or
five bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx

Two, three, four, or five blades matters far less than the CFM (cubic feet
of air per minute) delivered at all speeds, usually three. The number of
blades is often more an issue of aeshtetic preference than performance.
Other factors such as the degrees pitch of the blades and the RPM determine
how much air is delivered.

We have seven ceiling fans in our house, ranging from a top price of around
$600 down to one that costs only $70. The high end fans have five blades
(54" blade span) and were chosen not ony for performance but also for
aesthetics and motor warranty. The least expensive fan is smaller (42"
blade span), has a smaller motor, shorter warranty, and delivers somewhat
less air, but it was ideal for the location it was selected.

Do you homework... You'll rarely get a good answer from store personnel
unless it's a fan specialty store with well-educated staff.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Food is so primal, so essential a part of our lives, often the mere