Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:26:30 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:29*pm, Mark Rand wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:37:03 -0700, Hawke wrote:

The point that you miss is that if you don't have it you have no options
whatsoever. If an assailant wants you dead, you're dead. If he wants to
make you do things you don't want to do, you will do them if a gun is
pointed at your head. You're right about one thing though. Having a gun
doesn't guarantee you anything.

I would suggest that pulling a gun in those circumstances is likely to
guarantee your getting shot. But what do I know?

Mark Rand
RTFM

And THAT is what I thought I was saying by when I wrote that having a
gun could easily make a bad situation worse. I can readily imagine a
scene where the bad guy has a gun, and is prompted to use it when he
realizes that you have one as well.

I try to offer informative sources by experienced and respected
authors, you respond with what you can readily imagine.

Your imaginary point is moot because at that point he's very probably
going to kill you anyway. Imagine that! He's already committed
armed assault, possibly robbery and you can now ID him, he's going to
suddenly become merciful, "do the right thing" and let you go? In
your imagination, perhaps.

RTFM indeed! I've suggested a few references written by knowledgable
and experienced authors. If you dislike guns for whatever reason you
can still employ some very effective passive self-defense measures.

On occasions where such measures fail, a gun can be an effective
equalizer of disparities in size, strength, gender and age if the user
is skilled and employs good tactics -- including the passive measures
I've alluded to. If you're more comfortable being without one then be
so. Most good folks are, you'll be in good company. I am most of the
time.