Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to open this cleanout?

"dpb" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a 40 year old cast iron sewer line and there is a cleanout in the
middle of my concrete driveway.

Even closer on one of them:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...g/P1020895.jpg

The cement has to be quite thin considering if you look close enough, you
can actually see the metal rim flushed with the concrete driveway,
although it is surprising that the rim is so thin...

Yeah, that isn't cast drain, that's a thin wall tubing section.

I'd personally doubt it has anything to do w/ sanitary sewer; more like a
drive storm drain entrance.

It cannot be a storm drain. A storm drain would have the surrounding
sloping to it. This is located along the plane of the driveway. The
diameter of it is about 4", so it's too small for a storm drain.

My assumption is that right underneath this thin layer of cement is a
cast iron or brass plug I can unscrew and open the access to the pipe.
My worry is the plug threads may be corroded or stuck...but I can't even
get to the first base.

There ain't no plug nor threads--there ain't enough material there to
house them.

That is a good point. That makes it even more puzzling. Thanks.

I now wonder if I am not looking at brass plugs. Is it possible that
there is no plug? That the pipes were "sawed off" flushed with the
concrete driveway and they stuffed some newspaper or whatever to plug the
holes without dropping to the bottom, then pour concrete in that space?

I'd almost bet that's the case and you're not going to find anything
useful even if you bore them out 'cuz (as above) I'd have to be shown they
were somehow connected to the sanitary sewer before I'd have a go at 'em.