Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 23, 11:51 am, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 04:31:30 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

I hope you never feel the need to take it out of your pocket.

Me too. I haven't been mugged in 67 years and I only know one person
who has so I think my ever actually drawing it is highly unllikely.
What's changed is that a mugging/assault that would be recoverable
for most could now be fatal for me.

But now that you have it, and I can imagine how it gives you some
sense of security, can you clue me in on the circumstances and
methodology in which you would use it? It seems to me, that if you
were stopped by an armed assailant, you'd be dead before you got the
gun out of your pocket. If the assailant was unarmed, you'd have a
tough time justifying shooting him. If there were multiple assailants,
then what?

I really am interested in this phenomenon, as it truly is foreign to
me. I'd rather hear this from you, Don, as you appear to be a
reasonable person who will think before giving an answer.

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

The point that you miss is that if you don't have it you have no options
whatsoever. If an assailant wants you dead, you're dead. If he wants to
make you do things you don't want to do, you will do them if a gun is
pointed at your head. You're right about one thing though. Having a gun
doesn't guarantee you anything. That you will survive a mugging. That
you will have to shoot someone. That you will be safe. Nope. Having the
gun guarantees nothing. But when your life is on the line having it is a
lot better than not. At least you have a chance when you are armed. When
you are not you are at the mercy of someone else, and that is not a
place I want to be.

Hawke