Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 10 Things your contractor won't tell you

"cshenk" wrote in message

I feed the troops ;-) They fight over me because while I call myself a
'good cook' they tend to insert 'fantastic @%^#& cook- GOTTA Have that Job
on MY set Boss!!!!' I send'em home with fresh bread not even cold yet
from the breadmaker, and whatever else. Last time I had a big group, (9
guys) I made 15 lbs of pulled pork, 1 gallon of 'japanese coleslaw' (an
unsweet type, oniony vice sugary), 4 loaves (2 lb each) of bread, 2 apple
crumb-cakes, carmelized onions with fresh whole green beans and sesame
seed, and I forget what else.

Things like that go a long way. We always have refreshments on hand, even
if the guys are not working for me.

When the town crew was trimming trees on the street, my wife went out with
coffee for them. I later found a bunch of firewood on my lawn.

When the house across the street was being built, my wife gave them
unlimited ice water and water for other uses, occasional coffee and snacks.
.. More firewood, plumber fixed my toilet, another guy patched a hole from a
tree taken down and a few other little favors..

Three years later, I had a problem with my sewer line. Called the same
contractor that did the line for the house across the street. Turns out, it
was cause by the utility company moving a pole. He did the repair, billed
me and waited until the utility company paid up before he took any money.
He remembered we allowed him to use our cleanout to find the sewer line in
the street.