Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default 120VAC Thermostat

On Jul 25, 11:23*am, professorpaul wrote:
Lowes, Home Depot, or other "big box" store. They have wall mounts, or
kind that go on the heater itself. IIRC, the last time I got some,
they were for 220 V, and broke both sides of the line, but obviously,
you could use just one circuit. Also, try a good electrical supply
house. I've found their quality better, and the prices not out-of-
line, all things considered. Since you are doing the work, you can
afford to spend more on parts has always been my opinion.

Hi professor.
We have used wall mounted 230 volt AC thermostats for the last 38+
years to control our baseboard heaters and found them very reliable.
Typical maximum load per thermostat circuit is a maximum of around
5000 watts. Can't recall what the maximum 'resistive-non inductive'
load rating is.
I had always thought they were double pole i.e. switching both of the
live 230 volt sides/legs!
But a few years ago one poster mentioned that some so-called DP
thermostats are actually single pole, in regard to temperature control
and the contact in the 'other' side of the line is actually only used
when the wall thermostat is turned to the 'Off' position.
I haven't bothered to test ours for that but when one does turn them
to the off position there does seem to be a small amount of spring or
resistance that may be the 'off' contacts opening.
Just thought I'd mention it, not as a criticism of any posting but
find that one is always learning!
Sounds as though, depending on the kilowatt load, that a regular home
heat thermostat would be OK for the OP?
Cheers.