Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Structured Wiring Systems - new wiki article

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 00:41:35 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Feel free to comment here or make mods to the article itself.

Quick read.

I'm not convinced about taping the cable bundles at intervals. It
will stop you pulling one back to reroute to another destination in
the future.

Tape the end that will be pulled in, all over the ends making a bit
of a "point" to help it feed, without snagging, enroute but remove
any along the body of the bundle.

IME if you don't tape them together it is very easy to end up in a rats
nest of a tangle when trying to pull half a dozen bunches under a floor
etc. Even when they are taped up you still need to be very careful
coiling and uncoiling so as not to end up with a knitting problem!

Generally I would add another pair of cables later rather than try to
move an existing one.

Much depends on when you are installing though. If you have large
sections of floor up or plaster off etc, you may find laying individual
pairs as you go simpler than pre cutting a loom.

--
Cheers,

John.