Mark

Default Grizzly or Delta unisaw

Leon wrote:

I am no engeneer but did your friend explain how smaller bearings equate to
longer life? It has been my experience that larger bearings tend to last
longer. Perhaps a better quality bearing will last longer than a lessor
quality bearing but I would find it hare to swallow that smaller bearing
last longer than larger bearings.

He did say there are more smaller bearings. If there are two small
bearings on the end of a shaft it's quite possible they would be
stronger and last longer than one large bearing. Actually it's more than
likely.

On getting replacement bearings, pull your bearing and go to your local
bearing distributor. The only time I left without what I needed was when
they didn't have enough of what was needed (8 idlers on a band saw, they
only had 6). I have yet to see a proprietary bearing. There is a caveat
but out of this forums context.

On bearing quality, Many times there will be more than one bearing with
the same dimensions/ suitable for the use but one will have
substantially more balls/ rollers/ pins. The more rollers the less load
each carries (duh?).

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)