Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Fans : How many blades?

On Jul 23, 4:56*pm, "Bob-tx" wrote:
I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no
nothing store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan
pushed more air than a four or five bladed fan. *Didn't make sense
to me so I asked why that was and was told he didn't know why, but
that is the way it is. *I asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more
air, but he didn't know and of course didn't have any. *I bit my
tongue and didn't ask about a one bladed fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or
five bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx

since nobody has mentioned it yet, odd-number of blades is less likely
to be out of balance too much compared to even number of blades. with
even number of blades, each blade has to balance the individual blade
directly across; but with odd number of blades, each blade has to
balance the average of the two blades across; less variation in the
average of two than in a single sample.