Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing aluminum to glass: 2nd go-round

On Jul 24, 6:32*am, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:29:44 -0700, David Nebenzahl

wrote:
On 7/23/2009 3:34 PM spake thus:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:35:00 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jul 22, 9:39 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

In our last episode, I asked about sticky substances to adhere an

* * * *I am still questioning the ability of an adhesive to bond
glass and aluminum in an application that may be several feet long

It's a little less than 3 feet long.

and experience wide fluctuations in temperature. *That aluminum is
going to expand a lot more than the glass and considering the length
involved, I don't see how anything that does not allow considerable
flex is going to hold up.

Well, that may be the thing that ultimately screws the pooch for me
here. The original water diverter thingie on the door was made of
plastic (acrylic or some such), which prob'ly has a lower coefficient of
expansion. We'll see.

3M 4200- Hide quoted text -

Typically those are installed with doublesided foam tape. It will not
last forever but it is a simple matter to clean off and replace every
10 years or so when it fails. Glues like the one you used will be a
real pain to deal with when it fails.