Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Workaround Basement Insulation for electrical work.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...
Hi:

A fellow I know has a relatively new home (3 year old?) with a poured
foundation. The exterior walls of the un-finished part of the basement
are covered with some kind of "foil" covered product that seems to be held
in place with a little glue here and there and one or two "concrete nails"
with backer.

He wants to extend some outlets. While there is exposed & accessible
romex in the basement it's likely the electrical inspection was done
before the drywall was installed and the inspector ASSumed that the wood
studs would be covered with drywall. Some were and some weren't.

Anyway, he wants to extend some outlets to areas where thee is this "foil"
stuff.

What's the best approach?

1) Put the outlets and surface wiring on top of the "foil" or

2) Put the outlets and wiring under the foil and cut out access to the
outlets.

In the case of #1, we would use metal boxes and metal conduit.

Or should something else be done?

*I'm not sure if the foil that you mentioned is for insulation purposes or
is a moisture barrier of some sort. Either way my long distance opinion is
to put everything on top and do not disturb the foil.