Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Bearing Noise Bronze Oilite Growling Chatter Rattle

Jon Elson wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:

No the FU is appropriate. Used to work on Teletype ASR33. They were
a light duty printer and NCR used them for I/O consol printers on a
mainframe. They would wear and rattle and print crap. Was FUed. And
they were the crap to rebuild.

A friend of mine got hold of a genuine Teletype maint manual for the
ASR33, and I was blown away (we all were) to discover the power-on
lifetime of that model was 2 months. It needed a complete shop rebuild
at one month, and was to be scrapped out at 2 months. This would
presumably be a situation where the unit was actually printing a fair
bit of that time, so in light use they would last 6 months or more.

I fixed my share of ASR33's. Kept clean and lubricated
once a month, they would last far longer than that.

They weren't the most elegant piece of equipment but
they did the job and most of my customers could not
afford anything better.