Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Shop floor epoxy coatings

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 05:27:36 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have a 1990 mustang that I rarely drive and it has a small reaer
main seal drip. Alot of headach to replace that thing.

I am guesssing the floor will be slicker so I will have a harder time
using my ramps on the mustang to change the oil. Any ideas on that?

Don't use the color chips. use a nice sprinkling of fine silica
play sand for kids sand-boxes in the wet epoxy, spread with a flour
sifter or a coarse screen collander to get it even. That'll stop the
slips for people.

There are other traction additives like finely ground walnut shells,
but they might add color you don't want when used as a sprinkle, and
it's hard to get them spread evenly if they are mixed into the paint.
A good paint store that sells "magnesite" walk surface roof deck
paints will carry an assortment and know all the pros and cons...

For ramps, you might want to get a few scraps of indoor-outdoor
carpet to keep them from sliding. Or better, 1/8" tempered hardboard
(pegboard minus the holes) and a floor jack. Much cheaper to replace
the hardboard when it gets dented and oily than to refinish the floor.

-- Bruce --