Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Varnish of my dreams--found!

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Do they make a traditional oil-based varnish? Any links?

I guess my original response was to point out that the more modern finishes
regardless of brands are better than they were 10 years ago. Not all
brands are created equal. General finishes has oil based poly finishes, you
may or may not like this particular brands oil based poly finish.
Personally I dislike a high closs finish.

Concerning the General Finishes Arm-r-Seal "Gloss" oil based poly varnish, I
get great results with wiping on a base coat to seal the wood followed up
with a "single" final coat. That final coat goes on with, " and several
years ago I thought I would never say this" a premium quality Wooster "foam"
brush. Using a 3" brush you can normally cover 1.5 - 2 sq feet with a
single dip to the can. That really helps to eleminate lap and brush marks
and the surface settls out nicely.

You really have to try the better brands to decide iwhether you like the
finish or not.