Posted to alt.home.repair
Freckles[_3_] Freckles[_3_] is offline

Default Fans : How many blades?

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no nothing
store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan pushed more
air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make sense to me so I asked why
that was and was told he didn't know why, but that is the way it is. I
asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more air, but he didn't know and of
course didn't have any. I bit my tongue and didn't ask about a one bladed
fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or five
bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx

My house has 4 ceiling fans. 1 has 3 blades, 2 have 4 blades and 1 has 5
blades. They all have 3 speeds and all are reversible and very quiet.

As far as I can tell they all do the same excellent job of moving air about.
Without scientific instruments to take measurements, I don't think anyone
would be able to tell if one was more "efficient" than the others.

Freckles