Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fans : How many blades?

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:56:01 -0600, "Bob-tx"
wrote:

I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no
nothing store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan
pushed more air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make sense
to me so I asked why that was and was told he didn't know why, but
that is the way it is. I asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more
air, but he didn't know and of course didn't have any. I bit my
tongue and didn't ask about a one bladed fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or
five bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

Yes, with a three-bladed fan, the blades don't come by so often. This
gives the air time to relax and it's more compliant when the next
blade comes.

With a five-bladed fan, the air is always on the alert, it's not
surprised and it resists being pushed around. Like a militant teenager
being hassled by the police.

This is the same reason the guy told me when I was going to stay at
his apartment overnight, that I should sleep with him in his bed,
instead of on the sofa. On the sofa, i would relax and not resist
him. In his bed, next to him, I would always be on the alert and he
woudln't be able to do anything to me.

The bed was the five-bladed fan and the sofa the 3-bladed, according
to him.

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx