Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Fans : How many blades?

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no nothing
store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan pushed more
air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make sense to me so I asked why
that was and was told he didn't know why, but that is the way it is. I
asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more air, but he didn't know and of
course didn't have any. I bit my tongue and didn't ask about a one bladed
fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or five
bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx

The salesman is an idiot. The number of blades is only one of many factors
determining air flow. Diameter, pitch, blade with, and speed all come into
play. To make a statement that one number of blades is better than another
is pure lack of knowledge.

Buy the fan that looks best to you and it will move plenty of air. Be sure
to get one that is very quiet.