Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default TDS is Higher with Water Softener - Why?

"homerlex" wrote in message
The hardeness strips show the water is now in the "soft range".

I'm still concerned about the TDS being so high (900s every morning).
The water is 550 pre-softened and I understand that the softner can
cause TDS to go up some but doesn't this sound excessive?

Thanks.

Where do you get the water to test? My guess is that sitting overnight in
the piping or the tank, it is picking up something from them. Softeners
take out minerals, but not everything. The can be accumulated rust or
sediment inside that you are reading. Once the water runs, it flushes out
the sitting water with more pure water.

Is it excessive? With nothing to compare to, it is difficult to say.