Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_2_] Artemus[_2_] is offline

Default Biscut jointer Q's

"krw" wrote

I'm a little familiar with it. The PC wasn't cheap (over $200) and I
am a disappointed in its operation. It really does sound like it has
bad bearings. My guess is it's a cheap worm gear in the right angle
drive.

I can't feel any slop in the bearings so I don't think this
accounts for any slop, but thought I'd ask.

Biscuits tend to be extremely inconsistent in thickness.

They all seem sloppy.

I have a PC 557 type 2 I bought a few years ago It had an alignment
issue with the fence but I added Owen Lowe's shim and cured that
problem. The newer type 3's don't have the problem. Mine sounds
like my angle grinder and I assume it is due to the same square cut bevel
gears. Hypoid cut gears would be much quieter but cost much more.

Initially my slots were too wide and it was due to poor technique. A bit of
practice fixed that. I have found that the PC biscuits are quite consistent
in thickness. The ones at the Despot were pure crap ( I forgot the brand).
Rockler's are ok with just an occasional fat one. I haven't tried any others.
I store mine in some old Tupperware and haven't had a problem with them
swelling here in Oregon.
Art