Posted to rec.woodworking
mike from American Sycamore mike from American Sycamore is offline

Default Biscut jointer Q's

On Jul 23, 9:13*pm, krw wrote:
A while back I bought a PC biscuit jointer and have just gotten an
excuse to use it. *I broke it out today, planning to add an Ash edge
some plywood for a cabinet I'm making and have run into some
questions:

1. The biscuits seem pretty loose in the slot. *I can move the boards
laterally a 64th or so. *Is this normal? *I thought they'd be more
like dowels and be quite tight. *I know the idea is that they expand
when glued but the slop isn't giving me much confidence. *My plywood
is somewhat warped so there is no way the biscuits are going to hold
the two pieces laterally. *It seems I'm going to have to make some
cauls this weekend.

2. Is the PC jointer supposed to sound like a coffee grinder? *I would
have expected the sound from HF, but not a "high end" jointer like the
PC. *I can't feel any slop in the bearings so I don't think this
accounts for any slop, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

yes this is normal...and yes the machine makes a weird noisei