Posted to alt.home.repair
Freckles[_3_] Freckles[_3_] is offline

Default Fans : How many blades?

"charlie" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
Bob-tx wrote:
I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no
nothing store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan
pushed more air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make sense to me
so I asked why that was and was told he didn't know why, but that is the
way it is. I asked if a two bladed fan pushed even more air, but he
didn't know and of course didn't have any. I bit my tongue and didn't
ask about a one bladed fan.

I didn't buy anything yet.

Is it true that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or five
bladed fan, and if so, WHY???

I sure would appreciate any info you guys in the know can offer.

Bob-tx

Single is the most efficient. The reason is additional blades disturb the
air which makes the trailing blade less efficient.

that's why we always see airplane propellors only having one blade.

Wrong!

See the below URL.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...on/q0039.shtml

The main reason for multi blade is balance and aesthetics.