Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Update to: Leak in my basement (found the source)

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:23:53 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

UPDATE:

Well, I opened up the wall and found the source of the leak. There was crack
in the concrete wall that had been caulked over. It rained a couple of times
today and water poured out of the crack about 4 inches off the floor.

Does it leak after the sprinklers run? If so, consider moving that one
or capping it off.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/crack.jpg

The good news is that that area is only 2 feet under grade.

You could dig a good size area out below grade and tar/place a
membrane of the outside wall. Dig deeper and add some stone for
drainage.

The strange thing is that after I pulled some of the loose caulk away was
that a lot of the water coming out of the crack that then drained out of
1/8" vertical separation between the wall and the floor.

To really prepare the crack for repair, it may be necessary to use a
4" angle grinder with a diamond blade to slightly open/bevel the crack
up a little. It makes for a better repair, Imo.

Looking around the interwebs it looks like every crack repair company says
their solution is better than all the rest. Anybody got any suggestions?
DIY?

Butyl caulk (bitch-a-thane) will stick to a ball of lard. They build
buses, trains and other things with it.

DIY two cents.