Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Varnish of my dreams--found!

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Thanks for varnish info, I like varnish too.
____________

The exact
opposite of something like "brushing lacquer" (now there's a
contradiction in terms if I ever heard one!), which drives me nuts
trying to work to get it flat without brushstrokes in the alotted
50-millisecond time period.

Don't work it...flow on a generous amount L I G H T L Y and S L O W L Y,
drag out edges a bit to feather them. By "lightly" I mean the weight of the
brush and not much more. By "slowly" I mean around 4-6 seconds per foot. A
good bristle brush, BTW.

Brush on another brush load a bit away from the previous then L I G H T L Y
and S L O W L Y blend with previous edge(s) and feather edges. Then leave
it alone. It will flow together fairly well but will still look awful until
it is totally dry. Once dry, it will look fine as the amount left after
drying is a small fraction of the wet volume. IME and I've used gallons and
gallons of the stuff.

If you're getting brush strokes you are either not putting on enough or you
are pushing too hard with the brush or you are brushing too fast. Or any
combination.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...