Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bearing Noise Bronze Oilite Growling Chatter Rattle

Jerry Wass wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:
I remember a discussion quite a while ago in RCM, and a term being
mentioned that is the name for this condition, but I can't remember it
(or find it in my saved posts).

When the bearing and or shaft contact surfaces get to a point of wear,
the shaft no longer spins around it's center axis, but instead, starts
this chatter as it rattles it's way around the inside circumference of
the bearing.

Hopefully, someone will know this term, Thanks,

I dont remember, but early turbocharger development experienced this,
and their solution was to let the bearing float in its housing on a film
of oil that damped it out.

Yes, turbochargers definitely run above critical speed, and so will spin
on an axis through their center of gravity, and to hell with where the
center of the shafts were in relation to that. Any attempt to force the
rotor to spin on the shaft axis will just break the shaft.

This is a different condition than bearing swirl, but can lead to some
of the same problems.

Jon