Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader ng_reader is offline

Default OT furniture repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Smitty Two wrote:
So the semi-antique coffee table I picked up on eBay has wobbly legs.
The table seems well-constructed but the little wooden triangular
prism leg-bracing blocks were all either cracked in two, or the glue
had separated from one face of the block or the other.

I've knocked them all off and cleaned up the residual glue from the
legs. Since I'm more of a machinist than I am a woodworker, I'm
tempted to replace them with some little pieces of lightweight
aluminum angle and some small screws. Any reason not to do that,
other than purity?

If I go wood, does it matter what type of wood I use, and what type of
glue?

If it's an antique, using metal destroys the antiquishness of it.

You could reproduce the original blocks in the same kind of wood and
restore the table to its original condition.

A picture would probably help the experts point you in the right
direction.

And once you restore an antique, it isn't one any more.