Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:35:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

My clamp-on amps guesser has a peak hold function. I'll try it out on
some of my LaserJet printers in the office and see what it shows.

Well, I just tried it at home. 46A peak on startup for my HP LaserJet
2100 printer (at US standard 117VAC/60Hz). Ouch. I did it several
different ways and came up with roughly the same result. I couldn't
have done it without the "max hold" function on the Honeytek A902
clamp on ammeter because the inrush current doesn't last very long.
46A peak will certainly cause problems for any UPS running in backup
mode.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D