Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Gluing aluminum to glass: 2nd go-round

On Jul 22, 9:39*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
In our last episode, I asked about sticky substances to adhere an
aluminum strip to the bottom of a glass shower door. Thanks to all who
gave good answers in that thread.

So just to report that I got some stuff from Loctite called "Glass Glue"
at Home Despot and used it to reglue the strip in question. Cleaned both
glass and aluminum with lots of acetone, plus stripped off all the old
gunk which was all on the metal, none on the glass--the stuff I used
before was not even in the right ballpark.

This "glass glue" appears to be some kind of cyanoacrylate-type gunk.
Mfr. claims it to be good for glass to metal; claimed bond strength is
362 psi, if that means anything to anybody. It's supposed to be
dishwasher safe (after curing for a week).

I'll report back here in a few weeks and let y'all know if it held or
not. If not, then time for Plan C.

David, in the first thread someone mentioned a structural application
requiring a tougher adhesive. I assumed you were gluing an aluminum
water diverter at the bottom of the glass door and didn't need a
structural solution. Was that a bad assumption?

BTW, 3M also makes some very heavy duty tapes that are used in bonding
metals to glass. They come in a whole host of flavors including
clear.