Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default old garage door, bowing

On Jul 22, 7:24*pm, hjkhjk wrote:
Give me a chance of success here...(you garage door pros)

I have an Al door, 18+ ft?, 20 years old, that bows in the middle
(when the door is in the open position). *Because of it, the door
'bangs' when the door is shut. *The bang is caused by the drooping
door "snapping" straight and it begin the trip downward around the
bend in the door race.. *Sometimes it doesn't flex straight thou and
the door fails to close (it jams and the motor resets and rises). *The
upper panel, which bows, is stiffened with an 18 or 20 gauge V'd metal
beam. *It screws on.

Do you think it's worth a try to "rebow" (in the opposite direction)
this support piece? *Can it even be done? *I was thinking that I could
remove it and bend it back ( create an up bias) with some heat and
force. *Has anyone done that?

I assume these beams are sold. *Maybe I could just buy a new one
instead.

When My dad had that problem he just bolted a piece of angle iron to
the back of the offending panel. He did that in the '60s and it was
still working well when he died in 2001, & I'm pretty sure the present
owner still is using it.