Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default old garage door, bowing

hjkhjk wrote:
Give me a chance of success here...(you garage door pros)

I have an Al door, 18+ ft?, 20 years old, that bows in the middle
(when the door is in the open position). Because of it, the door
'bangs' when the door is shut. The bang is caused by the drooping
door "snapping" straight and it begin the trip downward around the
bend in the door race.. Sometimes it doesn't flex straight thou and
the door fails to close (it jams and the motor resets and rises). The
upper panel, which bows, is stiffened with an 18 or 20 gauge V'd metal
beam. It screws on.

Do you think it's worth a try to "rebow" (in the opposite direction)
this support piece? Can it even be done? I was thinking that I could
remove it and bend it back ( create an up bias) with some heat and
force. Has anyone done that?

I assume these beams are sold. Maybe I could just buy a new one
instead.

If you have a local fab shop with a big sheetmetal brake I would just
have them fab up another v'd brace for the section that is bowing.
maybe heavier this time.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.