Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Matching surface texture of sanded grout

"EXT" writes:
blueman wrote:
I need to repair some tiles in our bathroom. I did a reasonable job of
matching the color using Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout.

However, the surface texture of the old (sanded) grout is more like 60
grit sandpaper (like popcorn texture in miniature) while the surface
of my new grout is more like trowelled morter.

Do I need a special type of grout or additive or finishing/tooling
technique to get the grout to have a similar texturing?

Thanks

While I have found that Mapei sanded grout seems to use a very fine
grade of sand in it,

Makes sense - in fact, for most uses, companies seem to advertise the
fineness of their sand - though for obvious reasons that is not the
benefit I am looking for in my particular case.

it is also possible that water, cleaning
compounds, etc. have etched the cement portion of the grout over the
years, revealing the sand granules to stand proud of the surface,
giving the "60 grit" texture.

Interesting thought but I don't think so since the texture is uniform
60 grit even in areas that don't get worn.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to re-grout over the old
grout with non-sanded or possibly the new sanded grout, however,
this is subject to testing in a hidden location, and may fail to
stay bonded to the old grout surface.

Hmmm, the joints are pretty full so I think I would need to remove
grout from the whole area which truly would be a pita. I think I need
to identify a company that makes a "sandier" (i.e coarser texture)
grout in a matching color.

I have not however been able to find a company that advertises such
"textured" grout.