Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Exterior light with separate photocell & motion detection control

On Jul 21, 6:09*pm, blueman wrote:
Kevin writes:
Eric in North TX wrote:
On Jul 19, 11:35?pm, blueman wrote:
We have an old exterior spot wired to a 3-way switch with the
following resulting functions:
? ? ? Off
? ? ? Photocell only
? ? ? Photocell & motion

The old spot has bit the dust but all the new ones I have seen are
either photocell only or photocell & motion combined. I haven't seen
any version with both photocell & motion circuitry that split out the
wiring so that I can recreate the original functionality to allow
either photocell only or photocell & motion combined.

Does anybody know of any brands still made that will allow for such
breakout?

Thanks

It all just pig tails together inside, so you could put in a switch it
if you wanted, but why would you want to turn the photocell off

I don't think he does. He just wants the option of having the photocell only
ON..... so that the light stays on from dusk till dawn, regardless of
motion.

Exactly - some of the models in the store allow such behavior
(bypassing the motion sensor) if you do something funky like turning
the switch rapidly on-off-on. I assume they do this since most light
switches are simple SPST (single pole) and they use this to signal the
behavior. However, since I have a 3-way position and 3 wires running
out to the light already, I would like to be able to bypass the motion
sensor using the 3-way switch itself.

Well, if you have even a basic knowledge of circuits, open it up and
you will see the motion sensor pigtails in like a switch. All you
would have to do is wire it so your switch closes that circuit when
on, and when your switch was off, it would behave normally