Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default House Air Conditioner

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 07:47:18 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

My son and his wife will have to replace their house air conditioner. Live
in Mass.
Typical 3 bedroom Split style.
I'm trying to help them out a bit, but certainly no expert with this.

Unit is very old now, and the type where the condenser is located outside,
and the evaporator is mounted to the duct work by the furnace (hot air
heating system).

Before we call in some contractors, thought I'd ask you experts he

Is Trane still considered the "best" brand re reliability, etc. ?

I guess most important, are there any brands (or models) to stay away from ?

Any thoughts on what to ask contractor, things to look out for, gotchas,
etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Always step one is to find your installer. If you get a good
one, and let them take a look at what you have and rely on them for
what you need you will have a good result.

If you pick the best brand on the market and get a second rate
installer, you will have a second rate system The Installer is the
most important part.

Also consider that a house air conditioner is a system and
includes the ducts and returns. It is not something that is simply
added on.